Saturday, June 30, 2018

Story: Leaving Is The Hardest Part

    Regina heard Henry's feet clomping around upstairs; amazing how much noise a small child could make early in the morning. She almost smiled, but her face caught on a sudden wave of anxiety. This was the last time she'd be hearing his racket for two weeks! She quickly finished tying on the new swimsuit that she was trying out for the conference/mandatory work retreat.

    A strange object appeared in her doorway, followed by a tiny face and a much less tiny voice.
    "Mom...I brought you my pool noodle. The hotel will have a pool, right?" Henry looked up at her excitedly, "You can play with your friends from work!"

    Regina blinked at him, startled, "Oh...that's...very thoughtful, Henry...but I don't think they will let me bring a pool noodle on the airplane."

   Henry looked crestfallen, so Regina changed the subject, "Okay, dear, maybe they will have pool noodles at the resort? Anyhow, let's get you ready for kindergarten. Remember, you're going to stay with Granny afterward so be sure to pack your toothbrush into the bag I set out."

   "Granny! Yay!" Henry dropped the pool noodle and dashed off, leaving Regina sighing at the long foam tube on the floor, "Henry!" But while she would usually scold him for leaving things lying around, she picked it up herself this time. It really was sweet of him to think of her and wish her to have fun on her trip.

    After chasing down errant shoes and finally getting the correct toothbrush into the correct bag, Regina and Henry made it to kindergarten.

    "Regina, Henry, welcome. Go ahead and join the other children on the playground, Henry. We'll go inside in ten minutes."
    "Miss Frye, guess what? My mom is going to fly!"
    "Wow! Like a bird?"
    "No, like an airplane! And I won't see her again for a really long time!"

"Bye, Mom I love you."
"PLAYGROUND!"
"Hi, Henry! We're playing 'animals'! Want to come slide?"
"Don't worry, Ms. Mills, I'll make sure he is safe at school, and I'm sure he will be quite safe with his Granny."
   Regina nodded, but glanced back, "Of course, but I'm a mother. I'm going to worry anyway."
She watched Henry play with his friends for a moment longer, trying to reassure herself that leaving was perfectly fine. He was so young! But he was in safe hands with Granny and Miss Frye and the rest of her town friends and family. 

    Regina tried not to worry as she finished packing. 
She tried not to text Henry, Granny, and every single person in town as she waited for her flight. 
She tried not to wonder what Henry was doing during the entire 8 hour plane ride...
   ...but of course, that is exactly what she did! 

2 comments:

  1. Great to see a new post from you Erin O. I'm guessing from some of the characters' names in this photostory that you're a Once Upon A Time fan. The one doll looks a lot like a Regina to me too.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! I saw that doll and she just had to be Regina! But then, she had to have a fantastic wardrobe, and a Henry as well. If you give a doll a cookie...! In the story, she is not the mayor however, and definitely not an alter-ego to the Evil Queen! But she is a businesswoman and a single mother. I'm working on a custom Killian doll as well, just for fun. I truly enjoy the overlap in my hobbies and I think it will show more often than not ;) Thank you for commenting!
      -Erin

      Delete