Thursday, April 26, 2018

Hot Toys Star Lord

This post was suggested by the lovely Ms Treesa of Fashion Doll Memoirs. Thank you! I'm so sorry I didn't have time to thoroughly test all the bits and pieces, but this should give you an idea. I hope that I'll have the opportunity to show him off better in the future! 

    I love Guardians of the Galaxy, and last year, I fell deeply into the hype for the new movie. So much so, that I pre-ordered my very first Hot Toys figure, Star Lord! He is the Deluxe Volume 2 version, and he comes with many, many amazing accessories. Everything is so tiny and detailed! Even his box is thoughtfully planned out with a retro cassette player look. His stand is nice and sturdy, and has his name printed on it.

What first struck me about this figure is how fun he is to pose! (once I got over being afraid to touch him) He looks so awesome both in pictures and standing on my shelf! I was worried when I bought him that his face would not be as nice as the prototype, but he is actually a pretty good likeness to the actor in my opinion. Though I wouldn't mind if he had a bit more of a smirk, at the right angle and lighting, it works for me.
     He comes with a little Baby Groot buddy who can magnetically perch on his shoulder, or who also has a little rock stand/display of his own.
 
And then there's the accessories...this man has so many accessories!
Need a hand?
A tiny scarf and Awesome Mix
Helmet heads (one is activating/deactivating. The other lights up when the batteries are in)
Maroon top and jet pack
    And of course this beautiful thing (maybe I'm biased because I love long leather trenches):
   
    Both of the "leather" coats have wire in the edges so that they can be posed dramatically whooshing back in action scenes. I didn't want to open the trench up too much since I was packing everything away again, but it does fold out quite a bit. I've heard some other Hot Toys Star Lord owners say that the little metal bits attached to the coats are fragile and prone to falling off, so I handled them like centuries-old antiques, but I feel like I'm pretty capable of fixing anything as long as nothing gets lost. Which is good because...
Not the headphones!
    Poor Peter! Ugh I hate when that happens to my favorite pair, and it's impossible to find a Radio Shack on Earth, let alone in outer space!  Luckily, they're not actually broken, per se, they just sort of fell apart. I think I can dab a teeny bit of glue on and solve the problem. In the meantime, he'll just have to cope.
"That's ok, I've still got the moves!" 
Also, his tiny Walkman is nothing short of adorable.
 
    As my other hobby is costuming, and as I own many of the items he is wearing in full-scale, it amuses me so much to see teeny-tiny versions. Someday, I should do a photo comparison with the tiny versions sitting on the big ones! Mostly, though, I'm jealous of how perfect everything is!
These are 1/6th scale HOW. JUST HOW.
In comparison, this is my full-scale spat replica that I handmade from leather.
Back detail on the shorter jacket
Detail on the graphic t and pendants
But my favorite of his little props are his guns. I don't like guns in general, but I think Star Lord has some of the coolest, best-looking scifi weapons out there. Their design is so well-thought out, slim and small enough to be inconspicuous for a sneaky space thief, but easy to grab when you need them. Also, they have a non-lethal setting.

The Hot Toys guns are so perfectly detailed that I hardly believe these are the tiny ones, and I took the photo. They even have miniature "wear" from use in space. I am extremely jealous of tiny Star Lord because my 1:1 props are not nearly this nice.
This picture makes my eyes cross a little.
In fact, I think I'm going to steal his. No one will notice the scale difference!
Peter: "Come on, there's no way that's going to stay on your holster!"
   Sadly, Peter went back into his box shortly after that photo (and took both guns with him...phoo!). I have had him on display for several months, but right now, things are getting messy again and I feel better with him safely packed up. When I get things figured out, he will have an honored spot of his own in the Glass Tower Apartments (also known as the curio). I was planning to order him some of his Guardians buddies, but I don't think that will happen now, so he will just have to make friends with the other odd plastic people who live here. I think there may be some big, crazy dance parties in my house's future!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome figure. I love that he has a Baby Groot to hang out with. Granted, Groot's not much of a conversationalist, but he's so darn cute. And like you said, you've got plenty of other plastic people for Star Lord to talk to. Thanks for sharing.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Groot is super cute! Star Lord has been hanging out with the Disney Princesses lately and they love Groot. I agree that Star Lord is a very awesome figure! I can't wait to get my display case up so I can have them both back out where I can see them. Thanks for commenting!
      -Erin

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your FIRST Hot Toys action figure! He's cute. Love the mini accessories, especially the tape cassette player. The baby Groot looks adorable: I've never watched this movie. I'll add it to my list.

    Thanks for sharing. It'll be fun to see Star Lord among your other figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy the movie(s?) if you do see it. I really love the quirkiness. Oh yes, all of his stuff is so teeny tiny! I generally like to "play" with my dolls and figures, but I'm going to have to be extra careful if I want to use him as more than display. Haha, I love how you say FIRST. Right now, he is my only, and probably for a long time, but I would definitely love to own more!

      Delete