Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tonner Tron Flynn Review

I just thought I would show a few photos that I took of my Tonner Flynn (who I named Clark) after I removed him from his packaging, and talk a little bit about him.

First of all, complaints. I forgot to put on all of his armor...so he is missing the arm armor in the photos. Oops. But I will say I was disappointed that the shoulder pads (the ones not pictured, not the resin ones) don't fit well. The helmet is very tight and difficult to remove and replace, though this also makes it snug and keeps it from falling off. I would have liked to have instructions somewhere, or at least a photo, so that I could see how everything was supposed to go together, too. I don't have that good of memory to recall every detail from the film!

But now here are the things I did like.

 
He's a gorgeous guy. Really. I am so impressed with his posing! He came with a stand, but he can stand up on his own most of the time. He can achieve some very Flynn-like mannerisms with minimal effort from me, and it just makes me smile. In the photos online, he didn't look like Jeff Bridges at all, and I was really worried that he would arrive looking...like a girl. Honestly. He looked terrible in photos. But here he is, and he doesn't look bad at all. The color on his lips is a little dark, I think, and "there's something spooky about his eyes" (cookies to whoever gets that reference). Overall though, he's not a bad likeness to Flynn. I've seen worse. Much worse. In much more expensive figures.

 
The  level of detail is just great! He came with interchangeable hands, as well, so that he doesn't have to constantly be wearing gloves.

His matte eyes drive me crazy. Real eyes have some shine to them. But look at that Tron suit! A caution...I actually have two of those suits, and on both, the seam between the top and bottom halves arrived coming apart. Also, the resin shoulder armor likes to come unsewn from the shoulders. However, this suit fits him way better than the Tron Legacy Gem suit fit my female doll. The stretchy material is much easier to work with! It has a nice look and feel.
And here's his hair. He is rooted, and in some ways, I wish he was wigged. It would certainly have made more sense given the outfit. The helmets were used in the original Tron because the actors' hair couldn't be masked out efficiently with the techniques needed to animate the glowing effect of the costumes. So I think it would have been totally appropriate to have removable hair for the doll, as the actors couldn't have hair showing for most of the film. And it would have made life easier for me, as I like to take the helmet off and I'm terrified of ripping up his hair. Also the resin in the helmet is only going to hold up to so much abuse. One of my helmets is already cracked (I suspect from improper shipping).

I am still on the fence about his actual hair. It's nice and thick, but it doesn't really look like Flynn's, and it's difficult to style it that way. It had to be shorter than Flynn's because of the helmet, and I think that limited it quite a bit. It is a nice golden brown color, and with some creativity, I can get a decent style from it. It does get wild very fast though.

Overall, I really like this doll. I think he could have been better in some ways, but that's just me being analytical and picky. I really just opened the box, squealed like a kid, and immediately decided that this was MY Flynn and that I would love and spoil him to within an inch of his plastic existence. I really don't know how it happens that a person can feel an immediate bond to an inanimate object, but sometimes it just does.

Jayda seems quite curious about him, as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment