Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Review: Barbie Game Developer

    Once upon a time, I actually did work in game development. Sort-of. Another of those weird, convoluted stories that makes up the fabric of my life. I didn't look anything like this Barbie, aside from the jeans, but nevertheless, I wanted her. Something about the red-streaked hair spoke to my teenage self.
Aww, how cute!
    Her packaging was a nightmare. After very carefully freeing her from the cardboard (I wanted to save the background) I discovered that not only was her head plastic-tied to the cardboard, her headset was plastic-tied to her head. That's six plastic-ties to the noggin! It took some extremely careful cutting to leave her with her hair intact.


    Very nerve-wracking!
    In addition to the glasses and headset, she came with a laptop and tablet, both plastic! The laptop opens and shuts, and contains program code for the game that she is working on. The tablet seems to be where she is testing the game.

   The tablet has a little finger notch so that she can hold it.
   The cardboard background of her box is not an ordinary box background, and has been designed to look like a (very pink!) work cubicle!
    I think all of the details are super adorable! The post-it notes and the action figures! And of course, because it's Barbie, it is color-coordinated and very organized. This woman is amazing.
    I was having so much fun with all of her stuff, that I forgot to get detail pictures of the doll, herself, but I really like her! The red-streaked-brown hair is very cool, I am loving the different-colored hair that Barbie has started putting in their "normal people" dolls. She also has golden brown eyes (like me! yay!) and glasses, nude lipstick and minimal/no makeup, and basic articulation. Her outfit is well worth it, with the "Ctrl-Alt-Barbie" top, green drab jacket, and faded jeans.
   She has flat feet and wears sneakers!

   I do think it's odd that her cubicle is pink and she doesn't wear much pink. But maybe because she works for Barbie, pink cubicles are a company policy? I am certainly not complaining! I am more than happy to see less strictly pink stuff in the Barbie aisle!

No comments:

Post a Comment