Friday, July 22, 2016

Confessions of a Stacie Hoarder

When I was in grade school, one of my friends owned all three of the Gymnast Stacie and Friends dolls (Stacie, Whitney, and Janet). I had serious Barbie Envy with a different friend of mine (a subject for a different blog) but with this girl, it was like...these were the coolest dolls ever and they weren't really Barbies. They could dance! They could climb on things! They could pose! They had human-like proportions!

I don't actually remember getting my very first Gymnast Stacie, but I'm sure that it was after lots and lots of begging. This is Christina (the name I believed at the time to be the most beautiful name in the universe).


She's got a broken elbow (glued and electrical taped back together) after my little sister was slightly too rough with her once, but besides that, she's in remarkably good shape. I even still have her little well-worn gymnast suit and equipment, though the wrist cuffs to hold her to the bars are long gone.

Somewhere down the line, I found Skateboarding Stacie at a toy store. I was so excited until I got her out of the package. She was more limited in pose-ability by her "skateboard moves" and molded-on tennis shoe feet. I decided that I didn't care, though, and named her Lindsey.

 I got Stacie #3 (Alexis) at a garage sale. What's left of her hair is full of eyeshadow. (I attempted to give her a home hair dye job *cough*). She may fall victim to an attempt to re-root at some point.


Stacie #4 (Lizzie) was given to me by a friend who no longer wanted her, "for your collection".
 Indeed.

It is no secret. I love Stacies. I can't help it. They're so dang cute! It was only a matter of time before Stacie #5 showed up.

 She's going to have a great home here with her fellow clones! Maybe someday, I will get Whitney and Janet as well...

2 comments:

  1. I can say I don't have a single Stacie doll. I really only collect Barbie sized and the few kids I have were found at the thrift store. Seeing all her clothing makes me realize I rarely see clothing packs on sale for Barbie's sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their articulation, since they live/work at a horse riding stable and need to be able to sit in a saddle! But you're right, the clothing is a frequent problem. The first picture is a shirt that I made. The rest are clothes that were borrowed from other dolls. They can wear some Skipper clothes, and even some Tommy/Kelly shirts can be used as small T-shirts. I still wish there was more for the sisters. I also wish they'd make articulated Stacies again.

      Delete